Also called high-albedo roof or white roof, a cool roof has the ability to reflect over 65% of the sun’s rays, compared to conventional roofs which repel less than 15%. Cool roofs are able to repel heat because the outermost layer contains special reflective material.
Cool Roofs Offer Many Long-term Benefits to Your Project
- Reduce the need for mechanical air conditioning and save energy costs
- Reduce urban heat island effect in cities and suburbs, minimizing thermal impact on the microclimate and on the local environment
- Minimize heat gain inside buildings, improving occupant comfort
- Enhance the durability and the appearance of roofs by significantly lowering material temperatures and extending the roof life
Sika Cool Roof Systems – What Makes a Good Product?
Our large product portfolio of waterproofing membranes for flat roofs includes suitable solutions for virtually any application.
|Requirements||Are Sika Cool Roof Systems Available?|
|High initial Solar Reflectance Index (SRI) values||?|
High reflectance value after exposure (slight reduction of reflectance during first years until constant color is reached)
→ The benefits of cool roofs (significantly reduced energy consumption) is maintained throughout the service life
Good cleaning properties allow regaining SRI values close to 100% of the initial value→?Suitability of all technologies for the specific climate must be respected
|LEED requirements for LEED Credit 5, Option 1||?|
|LEED requirements for other LEED credit options||?|
|Single-ply membranes (FPO and PVC)||?|
|Liquid-applied membranes and coatings (several technologies)||?|
|Compatibility with the entire roof system, including accessories||?|
Proven performance and reliability, high durability
→?Lower surface temperatures increase life expectancy
|Environmental Product Declarations (EPD) available||?|
Examples of Sika Cool Roof Buildups
- FPO membrane?Sarnafil? TS 77 mechanically fixed to the substrate with Sarnafast? SBF 6.0 mm and Sarnafast? Washer KTL
- New thermal insulation
- Existing or new build-up on concrete deck
- PVC membrane Sarnafil? G 410 EL Felt fully adhered to the insulation with Sarnacol? 2142 S
- PIR, EPS/XPS insulation bonded to the vapor control layer with?Sika? RoofBond or mechanically fastened to the substrate
- Self adhesive vapor control layer Sarnavap? 5000 E SA or bitumen
- Primer 600 or Primer 610 Spray, where required
- Concrete (or timber/steel) deck
- 1-3 top coats of Sikalastic?-560 / 580
- Reinforcement with Sikalastic? Fleece-120 / Sika Reemat Premium
- Base coat Sikalastic?-560 or -580
- Sikalastic?-560 or -580 diluted with 10% water
- Concrete deck
Sika’s Experts Provide Assistance to Benefit your Business
- Sika’s experts provide assistance in your project if needed, including design assistance to architects and specifiers and authorized applicator training.
- Sika can advise how to make your cool roof perform optimally, ensuring the entire roof assembly is designed incorporating vapor retarders where required, proper insulation layers, appropriate fastening technology, correct detailing and more.
Contact a Sika expert near you for technical support and locally available products and systems.
Contact Sika's global representative in case you need our support in an international project.